Official State Marker Plaque
(the Guest House Museum in the background)
||321 Main Street, Fort Bragg, Mendocino County
Official State Plaque
Coordinates based on NAD27 datum
Fort Bragg was established on June 11, 1857, by 1st Lieutenant
Horatio Gates Gibson, 3rd Artillery, US Army. Gibson, who later
became a Brigadier General, named the fort in honor of his
former company commander Braxton Bragg. The fort was
abandonded in October 1864.
Today, Fort Bragg is a town of over 7,000 residents.
Shops and cafes along a downtown sidewalk on a
sunny summer afternoon.
Close-up of the official state marker plaque.