Marker Plaque and Remains of the Big Oak
||On State Highway 120 (P.M. 30.2), Big Oak Flat, Tuolumne County
Official State Plaque
First called Savage Diggins after the man who discovered gold
here in 1949, the town was renamed Big Oak Flat about 1850 after
the giant oak tree that stood in the center of town near this
spot. The oak, which was about 13 feet in diameter, was
undermined in 1869 and burned in 1890; only pieces remained in
1949. Rich placer and lode mines are reported to have yielded
$28,000,000 during the town's heyday. Stone buildings erected
in 1852 were still standing in 1949.
from California Historical Landmarks
Remains of the big oak are displayed at the
bottom of the plaque base.
Old buildings along side State Highway 120
as it passes through Big Oak Flat.