Downtown Groveland (2002)
||On northeast corner of Main (State Highway 120) and Back Streets, Groveland, Tuolumne County
Official State Plaque
Formerly called "First Garrote" because of the hanging of a
Mexican for stealing a horse, Groveland was built in 1849 as
shown by dated adobe brick tacken from a partition; adobe
buildings were still standing in 1949. Gold discovered here in
1849, and thousands of dollars in placer gold were taken from
mines on Garrote Creek, Big Creek, and other diggings.
from California Historical Landmarks
The official state marker plaque.