||4189 State Highway 49 (3.2 miles west of Mariposa), Mariposa County
one or more plaques placed by civic organizations or other groups
Agua Fria ("Cold Water" in Spanish) was the original county seat of Mariposa County. From California Historical Landmarks:
One-quarter mile north of Carson Creek, a tributary of Agua Fria Creek, was located the town of Agua Fria, in 1850-1851 the first county seat of Mariposa County. One of the original 27 counties in California, Mariposa County comprised one-sixth of the state - all of what is now Merced, Madera, Fresno, Tulare, Kings and Kern Counties - until 1852, while mining was the main industry of [the] region.
Marker Plaque Placed by the Clampers
Marker Plaque Placed by the Native Daughters of the Golden West